Women’s Spaces Radio Show with host Elaine B. Holtz and guests Congressional Candidate Laura Wells on Judge Kavanaugh hearings and Chris Costillio, Jessica R. and Hayly P on Verity Rape Crisis Line, recorded on 10/1/18, has been uploaded to the web archives. The show was recorded, broadcast and streamed over Radio KBBF 89.1 FM in the NorthBay on Monday 10/1/18 and repeat broadcast and streamed over Radio KPCA 103.3 FM in Petaluma on Tuesday 10/2/18.
The link to the show’s archive webpage is
Green Party Congressional Candidate Laura Wells on the Judge Kavanaugh Hearings
Verity’s 24/7 Crisis Line for Sexual Abuse
1. Laura Wells , Green Party Candidate for Congress, District 13, San Francisco
2. Chris Costillio , Executive Director, Verity
3. Jessica R., Bilingual Sexual Assault Victim Advocate, FJCSC, Verity
4. Hayly P., Prevention Education Manager, Verity
1. Laura Wells shares her path to the Green Party and to become a political candidate. Laura has been a candidate for State Controller of California and now she is running for the District 13 Congressional seat in San Francisco. Laura comments on the U.S. Senate Confirmation Hearng of Judge Brett Kavanaugh for Associate Justice of the Supreme Court and the accusations of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and others of sexual abuse while drunk.
About our Guest: Laura Wells was raised in Michigan. She earned her BA in foreign languages from Wayne State University in Detroit in 1969, and was elected to the Phi Beta Kappa society. Laura went on to earn a Master’s of Education at Antioch University, and lived in Boston, Massachusetts for ten years working in finance, computer programming, and systems analysis. In 1992 Laura switched to working with nonprofits such as Pesticide Action Network and Women’s Economic Agenda Project, and other sectors such as schools, labor unions and county government. For the past 30+ years Laura has lived in California, and has been an Oakland resident since 2000. Wells ran for State Controller and Governor on the Green Party ticket and is now running for Congress. She is co-founder of the No Corporate Money Campaign, with the mission to build a critical mass of candidates who pledge to run with no corporate money.
Guest Link: https://laurawells.org/
2. Chris Costillio, 3. Jessica R. and 4. Hayly P. talk about the mission of Verity in Santa Rosa and their 24/7 CrisisTelephone Line and how they came to this work from personal experience with sexual abuse. They call our attention to October being Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Chris reports increased calls to Verity’s 24/7 Crisis Line due to the Judge Kavanaugh Senate Confirmation Hearings where Dr. Ford’s couageous testimony triggered memories of sexual assault in men and women.
About our Guest: Chris Costillio earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology from Sonoma State University, with external work for her Master’s Degree in Psychology. Chris has over 40 years of experience with nonprofit organizations in Sonoma County, working with diverse populations and cultures, most recently working with the Youth Business Week of California (YBW.) She is committed to eliminating myths and stereotypes surrounding sexual assault and bringing our community together to become better informed, educated and able to speak out against sexual abuse. At Verity, Chris continues to pursue her passion for community collaboration.
About our Guest: Jessica R. earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology with an emphasis in Women and Gender Studies at Sonoma State University in 2016. Her experience includes working with at-risk and emotionally disturbed youth in residential treatment as well as working with youth out in the local community. Jessica plans on pursuing her Master’s Degree in Social Work, to further help the youth in need. In her free time, she loves kicking the ball around with her friends and family.
About our Guest: Hayly P. was born in Southern California and raised here in Sonoma County. She obtained her BS in Human Foods and Nutrition for Dietetics with an emphasis in Community Development from the California Polytechnic University of Pomona. Her previous work experience includes working on a community development team as a health and wellness advisor and acting as a youth mentor. She also worked as the logistics coordinator for Sonoma County and the Child Parent Institute’s collaborative Mandated Reporting and Community Outreach Program for Child Abuse Reporting and Prevention. In the scope of all these projects, sexual assault and violence prevention has been a topic of discussion, education, and care. Hayly is excited to use her experience with these topics, as well as her background in community development and outreach, to promote the prevention of violence in our community.
Guest links: http://www.ourverity.org/
Verity 24/7 Crisis Line: (707) 545-7273
October 1 – 5, 5-6:30 PM, We Believe You, Christine Blasey Ford! 5 Days of Protest! in Santa Rosa at the Federal Building, 777 Sonoma Ave https://www.facebook.com/events/325681704860359/
October 4, Thursday, 4 PM – 6:30 PM, Cancel Kavanaugh – Walkout and Speakout! in Santa Rosa at the Federal Building, 777 Sonoma Ave https://www.facebook.com/events/477787616065550/
The Opening and Closing Theme song is with permission of the Composer and Singer Alix Dobkin: The Woman in Your Life is You by Alix Dobkin from the album Living with Lavender Jane (Women’s Wax Works) – www.alixdobkin.com
Hey, Mr. Politician by Ellen Bukstel from the Album Daddy’s Little Girl (2008 Ellen Bukstel)
By My Silence sung by Ellen Bukstel (featuring Nick Annis) from the Album Daddy’s Little Girl (2008 Ellen Bukstel.)