Women’s Spaces Radio Show with guests Dr. Angela Ryan & Amy Gallagher of Sonoma Valley, Sophia Andary of San Francisco and Leslie Graves of Santa Rosa on Women’s Marches and Rallies this January 20th broadcast via KBBF-FM 89.1 on 1/15/18, has been uploaded to the web archives.
1. Angela Ryan , PhD., Co-Organizer, Women’s March Sonoma Valley
2. Amy Gallagher, Co-Organizer, Women’s March Sonoma Valley
3. Sophia Andary, Co-Organizer, Women’s March San Francisco
4. Leslie Graves, Co-Organizer, Women’s Rally
1. Angela Ryan and 2. Amy Gallager share how they came to become orgainizers of this year’s Women’s March in Sonoma Valley and announce some of the speakers and events planned for the event beginning at noon on January 20th at the Sonoma Plaza.
About our Guest: Angela Ryan was born and raised in Sonoma. She holds a doctorate in American history from Ohio State University and is the Executive Director of the Petaluma Historical Library and Museum. She lives in Glen Ellen with her husband and two children, a daughter who attends Flowery Elementary and a 9 month old son. She volunteers with nonprofits and is on the Board of Directors of Impact100 Sonoma.
About our Guest: Amy Gallagher was born and raised in Sonoma Valley. She has a background in Education as a Teacher in the valley for the last 10 years and is currently the Director of a preschool. She is a trained birth worker in the area, as well, and her passion is fighting for reproductive rights and against injustices, and working with the LGBTQ community. She is the mother of three young daughters and her and her partner, Kenneth, live in the Boyes Hot Springs area of Sonoma.
Event of January 20th in Sonoma at noon Link: Women’s March Sonoma Valley fb page
Event Organizer Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Sophia Andary describes her journey to become co-lead of this year’s Women’s March and Rally in San Francisco, having been involved since the election of November 2016. She led community engagement for the 2017 Women’s March and took over leadership to grow the march into a movement in the San Francisco Bay Area with marches planned in San Francisco and San Jose. The San Francisco Rally this year begins at noon at the San Francisco Civic Center with the theme Hear Our Vote , and centers on five levels of action: Voter Registration; Voter Turnout; Organize Localy; Increasing women in office (especially women of color); Electing progressive women and allies. The March begins at 2pm down Market Street to the Embarcadero. Check the event website for details on both the San Francisco and San Jose Marches and Rallies.
About our Guest: Sophia Andary works as a senior analyst for Levi Strauss.
January 20th San Francisco and San Jose Rally and March Events Link: https://womensmarchbayarea.org/#join-a-march
4. Leslie Graves talks of how her community interests started and how the 2018 Women’s Rally plan developed. On Friday, January 5,Alisse Leafey owner of Brew Coffee and Beer in Santa Rosa posted the question on social media, Why isn’t there a March in Santa Rosa on January 20th? and this started a conversation to create an option in Courthouse Square for those who wanted to participate in this Anniversary event of the Women’s March on Washington. Many speakers are planned including State Senator Mike McGuire and the list is updated on the facebook event page. The Rally will be held from 10 – 11:30 AM Saturday January 20th at the new Santa Rosa Plaza by the Old Courthouse.
About our Guest: Leslie Graves began coordinating local events in Santa Rosa in 1996 while working at a local non-profit community organization and then moving onto managing events at other non-profits and corporate retailers. Currently she is the Market and Event Manager for the Wednesday Night Market in Downtown Santa Rosa. Leslie mixes a background of Health/Fitness, Marketing and Community Development,
The Opening and Closing Theme song is with permission of the Composer and Singer Alix Dobkin: The Woman in Your Life is You by Alix Dobkin from the album Living with Lavender Jane (Women’s Wax Works) – www.alixdobkin.com
Martin Luther King sung by Lori Nebofrom the Album: I Am a Voice (fandalism.com)
Batlle Hymn of Women by Betsy Rose and the Women Song Chorus from the Album: Welcome to the Circle (Paper Crane Music)
Blood of the Ancients/Hope of a New World by Betsy Rose and the Women Song Chorus from the Album: Welcome to the Circle (Paper Crane Music)